Saturday, December 8, 2012

Everyone Loves Batman/Top Picks: Volume 1 Issue 2


Before I get to my top comic book picks for the week, I want to talk about how glad I am that I live in a world where Batman is worshipped.

Unless you live under a rock, you know that The Dark Knight Rises was released this past Tuesday on Blu-Ray and DVD. Did I pick up a copy? You bet your boots I did.

I went to Best Buy on Tuesday and what did I find? Pretty much every customer had a copy of The Dark Knight Rises in their hands. As a Batman fan, I couldn't have been prouder.

But it's not just movies that fans are picking up. Everywhere you go, you see Batman T-shirts, hats, backpacks, shoes, iPhone cases... you name it, there's a product out there.

I'm guilty of this. I have multiple Batman shirts. I even have a Batman wallet. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the wallet out to buy something and someone comments on it -- usually in a deep Christian Bale style voice.

I went to a bar a few week ago and got carded -- which usually happens because I look like I'm 16. The large man at the door (they are always large) saw my wallet when I went to get out my ID and said something along the lines of, "Batman, eh? You like Batman... I'M BATMAN."  I laughed and played along. The guy at the door told me that I probably hear that all the time. I agreed and said that everyone loves Batman... he also agreed.
Wallet











Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's get into my top picks for the week.


5. ALL NEW X-MEN #3
   WRITTEN BY: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
   ART BY: STUART IMMONEN

All New X-Men #3
If you read last week's post, you'll remember that I had All New X-Men #2 as my second favorite book for that week. This week, although making the top five, didn't really excite me.

Cyclops and Magneto's quest to help new mutants continues here. However, the majority of this book deals with issues Cyclops and Magneto are facing following their encounter with the Phoenix Force (check out Avengers vs. X-men to see what I'm talking about.)  

As Scott and Erik try and recover some precious cargo, they realize that their powers aren't quite up to par with what they should be. After they find what they are looking for, some rifts in relationships develop.

By no means is this issue bad. If it was, I would not be writing about it. Brian Michael Bendis has done more than enough to keep me interested in seeing where this will go, and Stuart Immonen has kept the art fun and exciting.




4. DEADPOOL #3
   WRITTEN BY: BRIAN POSEHN & GERRY DUGGAN
   ART BY: TONY MOORE

Deadpool #3
Third time's the charm for Marvel's Merc With a Mouth. After two decent issues, #3 really delivers the laughs.

This was one of the Marvel NOW! titles I was looking forward to reading most. I thought it was a great move to put a comedian on the creative team given Deadpool's humorous nature.

As you can tell by the cover, Deadpool is kicking some dead president ass, and his little dog too.

This was the first we've seen of Richard Nixon, but he joins the likes of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Gerald Ford as they wage an undead war on Deadpool, Agent Preston, and Dr. Strange.

If anything, this book is flat-out ridiculous... but I love it.







3. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 699
   WRITTEN BY: DAN SLOTT
   ART BY: PAOLO RIVERA

Amazing Spider-Man #699
After the events of the last issue, I first thought to myself, "Holy crap!" then my focus centered around how Peter Parker was going to get himself out of the really... I mean really bad situation he has found himself in.

I don't want to ruin too much about this story. Let's just say there is a serious case of Freaky Friday going on between Parker and Otto Octavius (Dr. Octopus.)

There is only one more issue left until the long run of Amazing Spider-Man comes to an end and Superior Spider-Man begins. That being said, I am anxiously waiting to see how the final issue, #700, is going to turn out.

As I said, the last issue had a "Holy crap" moment, and so does this one. Actually, it's more of a, "Wait... what? No!... really!?"

Once you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.





2. HAWKEYE #5
   WRITTEN BY: MATT FRACTION
   ART BY: DAVID AJA

Hawkeye #5
How many Hawkeyes does it take to screw in a light bulb? Wait, I mean how many Hawkeyes does it take to retrieve classified information? The answer is two. Clint and Katie.

This was very close to being number one.

If you have not read any of the first four Hawkeye books, do yourself a favor and make it a top priority. I promise you will not be disappointed. Not only is the storytelling phenomenal, but the art is off the charts, crazy-good.

This issue is part two of a two-parter which centers around a VHS tape showing Hawkeye assassinating someone. If that's not bad enough, the tape has been leaked! This prompts S.H.I.E.L.D. to step in and make sure the video doesn't get in the wrong hands.

Matt Fraction and company have taken the character of Hawkeye and made him a star. I started picking up this book after reading so many positive reviews, and it has become a must-buy for me.



I'm going to end with a Batman title (thought I was done talking about that guy, huh?) It's a book that I will admit, I just started reading. I don't now why I skipped the first two issues... never mind, I know why... because I'm an idiot!

1. LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #3
   WRITTEN BY: STEVE NILES
   ART BY: TREVOR HAIRSINE

Legends of The Dark Knight #3
30 Days of Night's Steve Niles writes a wonderful Batman/Joker story here.

Legends of The Dark Knight is a different kind of Batman book. By that, I mean that instead of just one creative team glued to it, there is a revolving door of talent each month.

Speaking of revolving doors, that is exactly how Batman feels about his relationship with the Joker in this issue. Every time he captures the Clown Prince of Crime and places him in Arkham Asylum, the Joker finds a way out.

Batman is angered by this and lets out his frustrations, as Alfred listens. But Batman eventually realizes that the things he does for Gotham City don't go unnoticed.

After Commissioner Gordon asks Bruce to meet with him, he hands over bundles of letters that have been collected over the years -- all addressed to Batman. Each letter tells a story of how he has impacted someone's life. After reading them all, Batman restores hope in his mission, not only to the reader, but to the Gotham as well.


Well, that does it. Come back next week to see what I think of the new releases.


Eric   Follow me on Twitter






No comments:

Post a Comment